>

19 août 2016

REVIEW : Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella

23305614
Finding Audrey - Sophie Kinsella
Publisher : Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Release Date : June 9th 2015
Genres : YA, Contemporary
Pages : 286
Rating :

An anxiety disorder disrupts fourteen-year-old Audrey’s daily life. 
She has been making slow but steady progress with Dr. Sarah, but when Audrey meets Linus, her brother’s gaming teammate, she is energized. She connects with him.  Audrey can talk through her fears with Linus in a way she’s never been able to do with anyone before. As their friendship deepens and her recovery gains momentum, a sweet romantic connection develops, one that helps not just Audrey but also her entire family.
First and foremost I'd like to thank Em for recommending this book to me. When I read Can I Keep a Secret, I was glad I'd found Sophie Kinsella and I wanted to binge read all of her books. And then, I came across I've Got Your Number and I couldn't even finish it. That's why when I heard about Finding Audrey I was sceptical. Like very sceptical. It was so hyped, I saw it everywhere but I resisted. And then, Em happened and here I am writing a review for a book I really enjoyed.

Sophie Kinsella mixed lightness with significance. Audrey suffers from anxiety and depression. She has a mother addicted to the daily mail, convinced her son is a computer addict and well the rest of the family is not restless either.

When it comes to book dealing with mental illness, I'm very picky but I shouldn't have worried. Sophie Kinsella understands those illnesses. She doesn't try to make us believe some romance is going to miraculously cure her. What impressed me the most is that she didn't use clichés. She mentions things most people don't know about depression like memory loss among others.

She also convey a very important message : The importance of mental health awareness.

"You thought I was a bipolar homicidal maniac.
- I don't even know what bipolar means [...] I mean, it's just one of those words."


There are still a lot of stigmas attached to mental illnesses and I liked the fact that the author pointed it out.

Now let's move on to the fun stuff : The mother was horrifying but hilarious at the same time. It's one of those people who means well but doesn't know how to proceed. Also, I would love to have a brother like Felix. You'll understand when you'll read it, he's the cutest.

Finally, the romance. I'm old school so I think fourteen is way too young to have a boyfriend but I really liked Linus. We can easily feel the chemistry between them and they were cute together.

It's crazy how one person can help so much. Sometimes, you don't need a degree and say very smart things. You just need to be there.

Finding Audrey is a heartwarming and meaningful story. I think this is Sophie Kinsella's most important work. I'll definitely pick up her new releases in the future !
 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire