>

15 août 2016

REVIEW : Nevernight by Jay Kristoff

26114463Nevernight - Jay Kristoff
Publisher : Chronicle Book
Release Date : May 17th 2016 
Genres : Young Adult, Contemporary
Pages : 287
Rating :

In a land where three suns almost never set, a fledgling killer joins a school of assassins, seeking vengeance against the powers who destroyed her family.

Daughter of an executed traitor, Mia Corvere is barely able to escape her father’s failed rebellion with her life. Alone and friendless, she hides in a city built from the bones of a dead god, hunted by the Senate and her father’s former comrades. But her gift for speaking with the shadows leads her to the door of a retired killer, and a future she never imagined.

Now, Mia is apprenticed to the deadliest flock of assassins in the entire Republic—the Red Church. If she bests her fellow students in contests of steel, poison and the subtle arts, she’ll be inducted among the Blades of the Lady of Blessed Murder, and one step closer to the vengeance she desires. But a killer is loose within the Church’s halls, the bloody secrets of Mia’s past return to haunt her, and a plot to bring down the entire congregation is unfolding in the shadows she so loves.

Will she even survive to initiation, let alone have her revenge?


You'll be a rumor. A whisper. [...] The last thing you will ever be in this world, girl, is someone's hero.

Mia is an assassin in training seeking revenge for her family. In order to fufill her desire, she must go to a school of assassin and become a "Blade". How badass is that ?

My least favourite part of the book is the journey to go to the school. The author's writing is thick and full of unnecessary, and sometimes not understandable, metaphors. That's the part people complained the most about.

Everything is new. We don't know the main character and we don't understand how this world works but once you get used to the mysterious flashbacks at the beginning of each chapters, to the nevernights, the three suns and the different customs, you realize how good this book is.

The more I read the clearer the writing was. It improved page by page, the pacing changed and I found myself completely engrossed in the story. If you feel put off by the beginning, just keep reading and I promise you won't regret it.

The arrival to the school changes everything. I expected a lot from a school of assassin. I complain all the time about authors who just write "assassin" instead of showing us blood. Jay Kristoff isn't one of them. There are violent and gory scenes and I loved them all. I mean, this book is full of deadly killers, what did you expect ? If you're looking for some regular story with a boring romance or worse, a love triangle, you shouldn't read this. It's an exquisite balance between action, mystery, humour and sex.

This school is the creepiest I've ever read about. The students already have blood on their hands. They're ruthless and willing to sacrifice everything for their goal. No one can be protected. The teachers are as deadly as the art they teach. Oh and not to complicate things, failing means dying. In other words, this school is freaking awesome. I couldn't predict the teachers' nor the students' reactions, I was on edge the entire time I was reading it.

I loved the constent danger, the mysteries to unravel and of course, the characters. We meet very singular characters and I loved how raw they were. They're regular but damaged people. But don't get me wrong, that doesn't make them any less murderous. They're all complex and feel like a elaborate riddle to solve. I think the one who intrigued me the most was Adonai. And of course, I fell in love with Mister Kindly.

It's refreshing to see an author who isn't afraid of making tough decisions. My heart broke several times but I'm glad he makes the most of his ideas.

This book is so entertaining. I loved the narrator and the footnotes. You just feel the amount of work the author put in the world-building and the characters. Nevernight is a brilliantly written adult fantasy full of thrilling and unexpected twists.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire