>

27 août 2017

Review | Legacy (Night School #2) by C.J Daugherty


Title : Legacy (Night School #2)


Publisher : Atom


Release Date :  January 3rd 2013


Genres : YA, Mystery


Pages : 385


Rating : 2.5/5

In the last year, Allie's survived three arrests, two breakups and one family breakdown. The only bright point has been her new life at Cimmeria Academy. 
It's the one place she's felt she belongs. And the fact that it's brought dark-eyed Carter West into her life hasn't hurt either. But far from being a safe haven, the cloistered walls of Cimmeria are proving more dangerous than Allie could have imagined. The students and faculty are under threat, and Allie's family - from her mysterious grandmother to her runaway brother - are at the centre of the storm. Allie is going to have to choose between protecting her family and trusting her friends. 
But secrets have a way of ripping even the strongest relationships apart...  


*There are going to be spoilers from Night School in this review.*

I have read this sequel a lot of faster than the first book. It's not about finding out what is happening anymore. The danger is real and Allie has to train in the Night School in order to face it... Until the love triangle (and a real one this time) takes over.

I can tell you that 45% of the book is about the romance. Carter is acting different, more protective more controlling and Sylvain's kind attentions don't go unnoticed. I really thought that after chosing Carter, the romantic part of the story would decrease but it appears it had the opposite effect.  If you ask me, there is no good choice there but it seems like being single is not an option.

Another thing that annoyed me – a lot – was Jo. In the first installment I didn't particularly like her but in this one I couldn't stand her. After acting like she did in the first book I couldn't understand how she wanted to be involved in everything. Also, should I mention the slut-shaming during the bonfire ?

Now let's move on to the positive aspects of the book.

First, we finally get to know what happens during Night School and new characters are introduced. I found Zoe cute. She's smart and innocent and even though I didn't really understand how their friendship started, I liked it.
I want to know more about the other Night Schoolers though. There are lots of things we still don't know but the puzzle is slowing starting to take shape.

Then there is the spy. He/She's supposed to be close to them and to have enough access to allow others in. I have a lot of suspects. Okay, I'm suspecting everyone except a few and I'm curious to know who the spy is.
Since the first book I can't help but wondering if Nathaniel is actually the good guy in all of this. If you're reading this review you've probably read the first book so here we go :
Nathaniel didn't seem to know anything about Ruth's murder. But then Gabe is with him so maybe he acted on his own. Maybe Gabe is disturbed and Nathaniel is trying to keep him close to watch what he's doing. But then it'd mean Isabelle is the vilain of the story and I don't really see it but who knows ? Maybe my theory is right (but probably not, let's not kid ourselves).

I wrote this review right after reading the book. It's pretty funny to read it now that I finished the whole series. I'm warning you, in the next review you'll see how paranoid I was.

2 commentaires:

  1. Lol about love triangle. It's like the author couldn't decide- first sylvain, then Carter, wait Sylvain is so French ha ha. Zoe was cool and so was the other newish girl, can't remember her name. And the spy- I had my suspicions based on that one thing we talked about a while back, but they sure dragged it out!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. "Sylvain is so French" haha exactly ! Like being French was the only thing she was attracted to. She talked about her accent in every chapter. Ugh. But hey at least now I know that some people would find my accent attractive lol

      Oh my gosh yes, I thought that spy story would never end.

      Supprimer