>

8 juil. 2016

REVIEW : Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James

5082599
Practice Makes Perfect - Julie James
Publisher : Berkley Sensation
Release Date : March 3rd 2009
Genres : Chick-Lit
Pages : 291
Rating :

When it comes to the laws of attraction...

Payton Kendall and J.D. Jameson are lawyers who know the meaning of objection. A feminist to the bone, Payton has fought hard to succeed in a profession dominated by men. Born wealthy, privileged, and cocky, J.D. has fought hard to ignore her. Face-to-face, they're perfectly civil. They have to be. For eight years they have kept a safe distance and tolerated each other as coworkers for one reason: to make partner at the firm.

...There are no rules.

But all bets are off when they're asked to join forces on a major case. Though apprehensive at first, they begin to appreciate each other's dedication to the law—and the sparks between them quickly turn into attraction. But the increasingly hot connection does not last long when they discover that only one of them will be named partner. Now it's an all-out war. And the battle between the sexes is bound to make these lawyers hot under the collar...
 
Practice Makes Perfect is my first Julie James' book. I hesitated between this and Just the Sexiest Man Alive but I found the idea of two lawyers in competition surrounded by an evident sexual tension more appealing. I've always liked love-hate relationships and the main characters exeeded my expectations. Their dynamic was on point.

"I think that you are an uptight, pony-owning, trickle-down-economics-loving, Scotch-on-the-rocks-drinking, my-wife-better-take-my-last-name sexist jerk !"

They're both successful lawyers. They're both witty and sassy. They both have strong opinions though sometimes opposed. But for some reason they have lead a cold war for eight years until a case brings them together.

Feminism is an important theme of this book. Payton is a woman working in a male dominated environment. She has to be careful of her reputation, dress appropriately and prove herself constantly since she can't bond with her boss like a man could.

Being a feminist myself, I would have liked this subject to be more in-depth. I think the author could have shown more instead of just telling.

What also characterize Payton is her annoying contempt for money. She despises J.D because he has an extravagant lifestyle but buy herself very expensive shoes without apology. In other words, she's a hypocrite. Money is a taboo subject. People don't talk about it, some of them judge those who have more, others judge those who have less but I don't get how a person's management of his own money is anyone's business. Yet, Payton is judgemental and I had some issues with her because of that.

Then, there is J.D. The white man, raised in a wealthy family but who nontheless worked hard to be where he is. I liked him but, just like with Payton, I had some problems with him too.

"No one from the Human Resources Department is telling the Executive Committee they need to increase the percentage of white males they make partner. So we have to fend for ourselves by making sure we don’t give them any excuse not to promote us."

 
I have difference of opinions with the main characters but I did like them. And I found the narrator's irony refreshing.

I read the book in one sitting. It was light-hearted and hilarious at times. It's not the funniest thing nor the best romance, to be honest it's average. But average is good enough when you want to take a break from "big" topics or fantasy. I'm definitely going to pick up other books written by Julie James.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire