>

19 sept. 2016

REVIEW : Confess by Colleen Hoover


22609310

Confess - Colleen Hoover
Publisher : Atria
Release Date : March 10th 2015
Genres : NA, Contemporary
Pages : 306
Rating :

Auburn Reed has her entire life mapped out. Her goals are in sight and there’s no room for mistakes. But when she walks into a Dallas art studio in search of a job, she doesn’t expect to find a deep attraction to the enigmatic artist who works there, Owen Gentry.

For once, Auburn takes a risk and puts her heart in control, only to discover Owen is keeping major secrets from coming out. The magnitude of his past threatens to destroy everything important to Auburn, and the only way to get her life back on track is to cut Owen out of it.

The last thing Owen wants is to lose Auburn, but he can’t seem to convince her that truth is sometimes as subjective as art. All he would have to do to save their relationship is confess. But in this case, the confession could be much more destructive than the actual sin…


The beginning of Confess is gripping. I didn't expect my heart to twist while reading the prologue. Colleen Hoover has a way with words and there's definitely something addictive with her writing. I have mixed feelings towards this book though.
 
One of my biggest pet peeves is insta-love. I love slow-romances in which the characters take the time to know each other and fall in love. Romances shouldn't be rushed, they should be slowly build and developped throughout the book. We should fall in love with the interest as the same time as the main character. We should be able to feel their chemistry and most importantly we should be able to understand why they like each other in the first place.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen in Confess. The characters fell in love way too quickly for my taste. On one side, Auburn thinks about him and the moment they had and on the other side Owen already knows her and feel like they deserve each other. This guy is supposed to be the loner who can't keep his girlfriends because he values his art more and I felt like his feelings towards her were out of character.

"A palindrome,” I said the first time she told me. She looked at me, perplexed, and that’s when I knew I could never love her. What a waste of a palindrome she was, that Hannah." 

 
Oh and he's kind of a snob too. I like authors who go through with their ideas without taking the easy way out but unfortunately Owen wasn't like his description. His girlfriends usually break up with him when he spends time painting, disconnected from everything else. I wanted to see how he and Auburn were going to handle this but it didn't happen so how do we know whether they're going to break up because of this reason ? Lots of things were going on in this book but nothing challenged their relationship and their "love".
Also, I didn't understand his obsession with Auburn. Speaking of her, I really liked Auburn. She's direct and strong but I just don't see her with Owen. They have literally nothing in common. The moments they shared were cute but nothing more.
 
As I said earlier, there is a lot of things going on in this book. Auburn and Owen are confronted to real problems and even though Auburn's were resolved like I predicted, there was a twist I didn't see coming. The side characters are fun and purposeful but I wish I knew more about them.

This book is good to kill time but it touches only the surface of the topics it deals with. It's an easy and fun read though. I loved the dialogues and I think you'd like it if you're looking for something light and entertaining.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire